Spiritual Infections, Physical Cures

Posted: November 23, 2010 in Rationality
Tags: , , ,

I am increasingly taking the message of James Randi quite seriously, well beyond and above average, because of the decadent state of belief and irrationality that certain people adopt and adhere to in their quest to explain the unacceptable conditions of life they encounter. Beliefs are the software that keep society together but only when they are the stuff of “useful or rational” contents necessary for its proper coordination.

One exceptional case that makes me more pro-Randi than usual but not an atheist occurred when an acquaintance confided to me he could not drink alcohol on a certain night because he was on antibiotics; he had unfortunately contracted gonorrhoea. The guy went on to make a very strange claim i.e. he had acquired the disease in his dream. Put another way, his claim was that he did not contract the disease by engaging in unprotected sex with a lady in this physical world of ours but by way of a “spiritual infection” inflicted by a female witch (a hidden enemy) in the astral world while he was deep asleep alone in his flat.

I laughed a lot later but I was too puzzled to do so in the first half hour of hearing his story. Spiritual cause, physical cure.  And that was that.

Grimot Nane

Comments
  1. Ken Obodo says:

This story either has to be either made up or of a very strange guy. Catching cac through dreaming is a very wierd tale. I would like to meet the guy in person and see if he needs prayers.

2. Bernard says:

Lol! My ribs! Does gonocaccus still exist or did this happen in the olden days?

3. Pat says:

It is typical that women are the main culprits in this story and responses. Belief in God is not superstition at all and should not be made out to look so.

4. John Okoro says:

Superstition and belief in the supernatural should classified as a pandemic and the United Nations should seek to erdicate it like they did small pox.

5. Martin Is says:

I am surprised the author ridicules irrational thinkers but himself believes in God. Is that not like a brandy drinker calling a lager drinker mistaken?

6. Martin Is says:

Do you guys not know that antibiotics, steroids, pregnancy tests, antipsycotics and so forth and so on were all invented in the coven by witches? lol

7. Parris says:

I’m not surprised. Most Nigerians are very superstitious people so blaming withcraft and juju for everything that goes wrong is business as usual. When I was still in Nigeria I couldnt wake up in the morning, always tired and very weak and after trying two hospitals without success my parent took me to a few healers and church who said I was a cursed with heavy spirit cast on me to block my progress, I was prayed for regularly with stronger and stronger prayer the problem remained. On arriving in Holland I was diagnosed and treated for adrenal insufficiency and I now live a very healthy active life. A lack of enlightenment is the problem.

8. Ed Mancur says:

If HIV/AIDS has no practical cure it should be the case that it cannot have a spiritual cause. Q.E.D. Guys should be rational and practice safe sex consistently. I am very fortunate that I do not dream.

9. Jim Bolz says:

The guy slept with a harlot. I have heard a girl seriously claim that her pregnancy was due to regular bouts of incubus that she had experienced in the past and her mother believed it was true. The child from that pregnancy now lives with the father in Texas.

10. Ben says:

Are you sure the head of that guy is correct, I think it needs good checking. There is a pathology of some kind going on his attic. I perhaps will laugh about it later on.